Animal Farm was an allegory about revolution and Stalin’s Abuse of Power. In my opinion it can be applied to the current South African context of Democracy. Although South Africa had the noblest intentions of Democracy. The rules gradually change as our corruptors see fit to suit themselves. Of all the commandments this one sticks for me. “All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others”.
Below is a list of the 7 commandments in the book and how they gradually changed over time. I managed to find the original animation movie and I suggest that you watch it and draw your own conclusions.
- Whatever goes upon two legs is a enemy.
- Once the pigs start walking on two legs, two legs become better then four.
- Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
- The pigs end up thinking any animal who walks on four legs or has wings in inferior.
- No animal shall wear clothes.
- The pigs all end up wearing clothes.
- No animal shall sleep in a bed.
- “No animal shall sleep in a bed with sheets”
- No animal shall drink alcohol.
- “No animal shall drink alcohol to excess”
- No animal shall kill any other animal.
- “No animal shall kill any other animal without cause”
- All animals are equal.
- ” All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others”